Centre for Discipleship Training Schools
The Discipleship Training School (DTS) is a prerequisite for all other courses and is therefore the gateway into the seven Colleges/Faculties and various Centres of the University of the Nations. The DTS also serves to orient and prepare all new YWAM and U of N staff.
The purpose of the DTS is:
- To GATHER and CHALLENGE people to worship, listen to and obey God, releasing them (in the context of the DTS) to serve through evangelism, intercession, acts of compassion and other expressions of God’s heart for the world, possibly even pioneering new ministries.
- To INSPIRE and CULTIVATE growth in one’s relationship with God resulting in Christ-like character, which is based on a solid biblical foundation, the work of the Holy Spirit and the personal application of biblical truth, especially concerning God’s character, the Cross and empowering grace.
- To SHARPEN one’s ability to relate to, learn from and work with people, including those of different cultures, personalities and perspectives.
- To further EQUIP each one to serve God’s purposes either in or outside of YWAM Family of Ministries, strengthening a commitment to reach the lost, especially the un-reached, to care for the poor, and to influence all areas of society.
- To IMPART the vision and foundational values of Youth With A Mission International as well as that of the host operating location and to provide information regarding a variety of opportunities for service.
The DTS aims to graduate students:
- with a growing understanding of the breadth and depth of God’s character and ways;
- who are becoming more like Jesus in the way they relate to God and people;
- who increasingly cooperate with the empowering presence of the indwelling Holy Spirit;
- who listen to and obey God as the result of God’s enabling grace;
- who search the Scripture in such a way that transforms beliefs, values and behaviours;
- with strengthened lifestyles of worship, intercession and spiritual warfare;
- with a greater ability to work with others, especially those different from themselves;
- who can share the Gospel with the lost and have a life-long commitment to do so, with a commitment to continue to be involved in some way with God’s work among the nations, including un-reached people, the poor and needy and in spheres of society;
- who understand the calling and values of YWAM and are aware of a variety of opportunities available to them throughout YWAM;
- with a clearer understanding of God’s purposes for their life and a sense of their life direction;
- who either: go on to serve God in either a context familiar or foreign to them or pursue further training (in or outside of YWAM) to equip them for further service.
The Centre Network for Discipleship Training Schools has been established to ensure excellence in DTS programmes worldwide in accordance with the DTS guidelines set by the international leadership of YWAM and the U of N. The Centre staff seek to serve DTS leadership by providing encouragement, support and expertise in programme, leadership and resource development. The Centre facilitates networking personnel and resources among all DTS and Field Assignment/Outreach locations and the seven Colleges/ Centres of the University. It also aids in stimulating the multiplication of new DTSs in strategic locations
The goals of the DTS Centre Network are:
- Partnering within YWAM International: to develop a relational network of DTS leaders/staff within each region that is also connected to the global DTS world and with all streams of YWAM’s family of ministries.
- Programme Development: to aid in the design of DTS programmes in accordance with the DTS purpose and curriculum guidelines set by the international leadership of YWAM/UofN.
- Leadership Development: to facilitate DTS leadership and staff development in response to requests and identified needs.
- Educational Resource Development: to create resources that aid in training DTS staff or in implementing an aspect of the curriculum in the DTS and to facilitate the distribution of new and existing resources to the DTS world.
- Programme monitoring: to receive, track and review course registration documentation for each DTS programme.
- Strategic multiplication: to promote pioneering new DTS' and Field Assignment/Outreaches in the ten major language groups and the least evangelized nations of the world.